HPL HOTELS & RESORTS
ONLINE PRIVACY STATEMENT
Last Updated 14 August 2023
HPL Hotels & Resorts (referred to as “we”, “us”, “our”) is committed to creating an experience that is relevant to your needs by using the information you entrust us with responsibly. We have provided this Privacy Statement to help you understand how we collect, use and protect your information when you visit our sites. We wish to help you make informed decisions, so please take a moment to read the sections below:
- INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- PERSONAL INFORMATION
- COLLECTION OF PERSONAL IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION
- PROCESSING AND DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
- SECURITY MEASURES
- INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
- ONLINE TECHNOLOGIES
- LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
- UPDATES TO OUR PRIVACY STATEMENTS
- CONTACT US
This Privacy Statement is applicable to:
- any data processing implemented by HPL Hotels & Resorts managed hotels
- any HPL Hotels & Resorts booking websites, including but not limited to:
2) PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
HPL Hotels & Resorts defines “Personal Information” as information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual.
We collect information about our guests and visitors to our websites, so that we can process reservations, receive customer service requests and/or enhance the experience that is relevant to one’s need.
Information that we may collect include, but not limited to the following:
- Reservation fulfillment information such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, nationality, credit or debit card number, airline frequent flyer information or other similar customer-loyalty programmes;
- Stay related information such as arrival and departure dates, goods and services purchased, information and observations about your special requests made and service preferences (e.g. specific room type, amenities requested, room preferences and other facilities or services used);
- Marketing preferences through registering for e-newsletters or programme membership;
- Guest feedback survey both in-hotel and online;
- Response to communications to and from us pertaining to contests and promotional offers;
- Job application submission;
- Contact and other relevant details concerning the employees of corporate accounts, vendors and other types of business partners (e.g. travel agents or meeting and event planners);
- Additional contact information about you that we may obtain through third parties with whom we do business (e.g. travel agents or similar providers).
We may collect information both directly via our websites and from third parties with whom we do business (e.g. travel agents, airlines, event planners or other similar providers). These information shall be deemed collected by us with your permission.
Should you be submitting any personal information relating to other people to us or our service providers (e.g. making a reservation on behalf of another individual), you represent that you have the authority to do so and permit us to use the information in accordance to this Privacy Statement.
We may collect information in a few ways, including but not limited to the following:
- Through Online Services:
We may collect information when you make a reservation or purchase goods and services from us, communicate via our online chat services, email to inform us of special requests/preferences, sign up for e-newsletters and other programmes or participate in a survey, contest or promotional offer.
- Through Offline Services:
We may collect information offline when you make a reservation over the telephone or visit one of our hotels
- Other Sources:
We may collect information from other sources such as joint marketing partners and other third parties.
3) USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
At HPL Hotels & Resorts, we are committed to providing you with information about the collection and use of personal information collected from, or furnished by you while using our websites, products and services.
We may use the information in various ways including personal contact via our website, through email and telephone correspondence and through third parties such as travel agents and business partners.
The primary uses of the data and information collected from you may include and are not limited to:
- provide services you request such as facilitation of reservations, sending booking confirmation and pre-arrival messages,
- provide information about meetings, events and/or celebrations
- processing a transaction such as confirming a reservation, fulfilling a request for proposal
- send administrative information, marketing communications, and promotional offers
- send guest satisfaction survey and perform market research
- allow for your participation in contests and promotions
You may, in certain instances, be offered the option not to submit your personal information or to decide on the type of communication you want to receive from us. However, by not providing the information or providing inaccurate or incomplete information, this may restrict or affect the hotel reservation process or other transactions, for which we shall not be liable in any manner whatsoever should any reservations or other transactions fail to proceed or any attempts to use our reservation processes by you be frustrated, delayed, or rejected, or otherwise lead to any result which you may not have desired or anticipated.
4) PROCESSING AND DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
The information you provided is added to a local or global database. During the course of processing your information, it may be necessary to transfer the data to HPL Hotels & Resorts affiliates, other managed hotels and/or third party service providers for the purpose outlined within this Privacy Statement. We do not sell, rent or give physical possession of this personal information to unaffiliated third parties outside the HPL Hotels & Resorts group.
HPL Hotels & Resorts may disclose your information in the following circumstances, including but not limited to:
- when we have received your consent or deemed consent to do so
- when we have informed you of our intentions to do so
- when sharing or disclosing your information is necessary in order to provide you with the products or services you requested such as promotional offers, hotel rates proposals and e-newsletters
- when third party service providers that perform certain business activities on behalf of HPL Hotels & Resorts require this information to process the services required, such as credit card processing, database management services, customer support services or guest surveys
- In the event HPL Hotels & Resorts, its affiliate and/or its managed properties is merged with, enters into a partnership with or is acquired by another company
- when a hotel under our management leaves HPL Hotels & Resorts and access to your personal information is necessary to meet contractual obligations or to facilitate business operations
- when there is an emergency and need to safeguard the life, health or property of an individual or corporation
- when it is necessary to comply with legal or regulatory obligations in accordance with applicable law thereof
5) COLLECTION OF OTHER INFORMATION
HPL Hotels & Resorts defines “Other Information” as any information that we collect automatically when you access our websites, but does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual. These information include, but are not limited to:
- Log information
- Device information
- Location information
- Information collected through cookies, and other tracking technologies
We and our third-party service providers may collect “Other Information” in a few ways including, but not limited to:
- Log Information
System log information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your devices about your use of our website including type of browser, your IP address, pages viewed and page you visited before navigating to our website.
This information is used to ensure that the online services we provide you functions properly and we are able to diagnose any server-side problems pertaining to the online services we provide.
- Device Information
We may collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our website including the hardware model, operating system and version, and unique device identifiers.
- Location Information
We may collect information about the location of your device when you access our website. You are able to turn off location services for a device but this may turn off some features such as personalised location-based content for an enhanced online service.
We may also share your mobile device’s location combined with information about the advertisements viewed as well as other information collected with marketing partners to provide you personalised content and to study the effectiveness of our advertising campaigns. You may be permitted to allow or deny such uses in some instances, but by doing so, we and/or our marketing partners may not be able to provide you with the applicable personalised content and services.
- Information collected by cookies and other tracking technologies
We and our marketing/service providers use various technologies to collect information including cookies and web beacons.
Cookies are snippets of information stored directly in the computer hard drive or device memory that you use. These cookies allow us to collect information when you visit our website, such as time spent, pages visited, language preferences and other aggregated data. We use this statistical information about the use of our website to allow us to continually improve the design and functionality, to enhance your browsing and reservation experience. Web beacons are used in our marketing services or emails to deliver cookies, track and measure campaign effectiveness.
6) SECURITY MEASURES
We will take appropriate measure to safeguard your personal identifiable information. At HPL Hotels & Resorts, we periodically review and enhance our technical, physical, and logical security rules and procedures. Our websites and servers have procedures in place to protect your personally identifiable information against misuse, loss and alteration while under our management. Although we cannot promise “guaranteed security” on or off the Internet, we safeguard your information using both procedural and technical measures such as password controls, ‘firewalls’ and the use of 128-bit encryption based on a Class 3 Digital Certificate issued by Thawte. This allows for the use of Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), an encryption method used to help prevent interception and hacking while in transit.
7) LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
For your convenience and information, HPL Hotels & Resorts may provide links to other websites. Please note that we are not responsible or liable for any content presented by or contained in any external or independent web site, including, but not limited to, any advertising claims or marketing practices. HPL Hotels & Resorts will protect your information on HPL Hotels & Resorts owned and operated websites in accordance with this Privacy Statement, but we cannot control and will not be responsible for the privacy policies of external or third party websites. This includes other websites not controlled or authorised by HPL Hotels & Resorts.
8) ACCURACY OF DATA
HPL Hotels & Resorts takes the information you have provided as accurate and complete and will use the information accordingly. Unless you provide us with updated information, the last information which you provide shall be deemed by us to be current and accurate and we shall not be responsible for information that is sent to addresses or emails that are no longer valid or current.
9) UPDATING AND ACCESSING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you wish to update any data or information previously submitted to us, you can do so by sending us a written request by letter or email to the address in section 13. In our effort to prevent unauthorised disclosure of personal information, you may be asked to provide proof of identity or other authentication materials.
You may also receive mailings or other communication materials from our strategic marketing partners and /or carefully selected third parties. You will always have the option to decline any or all of these communications by following the directions included in our emails or other communications, or by contacting HPL Hotels & Resorts directly. You can easily unsubscribe from our promotional emails by using the “Unsubscribe” link provided in each email without cost except the transmission costs.
At HPL Hotels & Resorts, we do not knowingly collect personal information from minors. If we discover information submitted by minors, we are at liberty to destroy or reject such information collected, and shall not be liable for any missed opportunities. As a parent or legal guardian, please do not allow your children to submit personal information without your permission.
11) INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
At HPL Hotel & Resorts, we endeavour to provide the same level of service that you have come to expect at any of our managed properties, whether you are in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia or Maldives. To provide this service, we have established a global network comprised of properties, offices, trusted marketing partners, service providers and reservation centers around the world. Our business and operations models require us to share your personal information with other properties, group companies or service providers that may be located in countries situated in locations that are different from those of our guests and customers. As data protection and other laws of these other countries may not be the same as those in your own country, it will not be possible for HPL Hotels & Resorts to ensure that the practices adopted by us will conform to what you are used to enjoy, although we will use commercially reasonable endeavours to take the appropriate measures to ensure that your personal information is protected and handled as described in this Privacy Statement.
12) UPDATES ON OUR PRIVACY STATEMENTS
In order to meet changes in the regulatory environment, business needs, or to satisfy the needs of our guests and customers, properties, and service providers, HPL Hotels & Resorts may amend this Privacy Statement from time to time. Therefore, we invite you to read this Privacy Statement regularly and/or any event when making a reservation with any of our managed hotels.
13) CONTACT US
Please contact us if you have any questions about this Privacy Statement and how HPL Hotels & Resorts processes your personal identifiable information in general. You may reach us at:
- What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small text file containing information stored on your internet enabled device e.g. your computer, smartphone or tablet, used to remember and/or obtain information about the user.
- Cookies used on our website
We use different cookies for the following purposes:
- Strictly necessary cookies
These are cookies that are essential and required for the operation of our website to help you navigate the site. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into our website.
- Functional cookies
These are cookies used to provide improved user experience for example, to recognise you when you return to our website, enabling us to personalise content based on your preferences, for example, the region you are visiting our website from.
- Performance/Analytical cookies
These are cookies used to help us understand our website visitors and their usage of the site. This helps us improve our website user experience by understanding how visitors browse, what interests them, and measure the effectiveness of our advertising.
- Targeting/Advertising cookies
These are cookies that record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited, for us to make our website and advertising displayed more relevant to your interests on other online platforms where available. These cookies are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement from us, and to help us measure the effectiveness of our advertising.
- Control cookies setting
You are able to disable cookies by adjusting the setting on your browser to allow refusal of all or some cookies. Check your browser’s Help menu or your mobile device settings to find out how. For details, you may also wish to refer here. However, if you set your browser to block all cookies, some features, services or activities that are available on our websites may be affected and you may be unable to perform certain transactions, access certain functionality and content.